Explore the West Coast
Sign-up today and explore the Gulf Islands and San Juan archipelago in a classic camper van! Ride ferries through the Salish Sea from Lopez Island to Salt Spring Island, where winding summer roads are perfect for frequent stops. Travellers twist between hamlets where stopping and continuing either by horse or bicycle is a recommended way to experience the incredible biodiversity of this region. Local summer markets and a truly-island vibe make this route a fan favourite. The map located below corresponds with a numbered descriptions of popular highlights along the way. For a deeper look & interactive map of Vancouver Island and its hundreds of parks, reserves and recreation locations please visit:
- Base Camp Adventure Rentals
- Salt Spring Island - The most well known Gulf Island, travellers can have a hard time leaving this easygoing summer destination. Camp right on the shore line at Ruckle Point and keep an eye out for killer whales and sea lions. Or explore Mount Maxwell Provincial Park and see spectacular views of Vancouver Island, along with Gary oak meadows and salmon bearing creeks. Take the time and interact with local farmers selling fresh organic produce at local markets, or local artists who accomplish world-class creations.
- Hornby Island - Great summer destination renters can relax and enjoy the sights of Tribune Bay Provincial Park, Helliwell Provincial Park, Ford's Cove, Heron Rocks and Whaling Station Bay. Well known for its vast network of trails, Hornby is perfectly suited for bicycling enthusiasts.
- Quadra Island - An Idyllic rural community with thriving art culture, renters find Rebecca Spit perfect for posting up and relaxing after a day of hiking China Mountain or swimming Village Bay Lake.
- Cortes Island - Tree hugging capital of the West! Cortes encompasses what summer island living is all about with warm lakes to swim in all day or an abundance of trails for hiking and biking, leave the watch at home!